Composite veneers have become a popular treatment in recent years for changing the shape, colour and alignment of teeth in order to improve appearance of the smile. Composite veneers may also be applied to correct the appearance of teeth with gaps, to cover and protect worn enamel or to brighten grey, discoloured teeth that have not responded to conventional whitening methods.
What are composite veneers?
Composite veneers (also called composite bonding) are a thin layer of filling material placed only over the visible part of a tooth to improve the appearance of the tooth and the overall aesthetics of the smile.
Composite veneers are made by first cleaning and shaping the front surface of the tooth or teeth receiving the treatment. Following this, a 1-2mm layer of a high-quality filling material is placed on the prepared tooth structure, which is then shaped, hardened and becomes chemically bonded to the tooth surface it is covering. The veneers are then polished to a high shine and you will receive specific care instructions to maximise your enjoyment, and the lifespan of, your beautiful new smile.
Composite veneers vs porcelain veneers – the main differences
Maintenance: All veneers require thorough maintenance; professional dental care and home care are necessary for them to last as long as possible and to avoid the risks of decay. Composite resin requires significantly more maintenance as it is much more stain prone than porcelain or natural teeth. We recommend 3 monthly professional dental cleans for all composite resin veneers, and an upgraded toothbrush and floss for home care maintenance.
Appearance: Our composite resin veneers are always highly polished for the best look and feel, however the material itself is very different to porcelain, we usually compare them to the feel of rubber vs glass.
Durability: Composite resin is a very malleable material which makes easy to change and repair, by contrast porcelain is rigid and hard so once it has been bonded to a tooth it is expected to remain unchanged for 10-20 years. Composite resin has an expected lifespan of 3-5 years
Composite veneers: the process from start to finish
Getting composite veneers in Sydney means finding the right dentist first. From there the typical process is:
1. CONSULTATION: Dr Rick will discuss your smile goals while educating and informing you of the necessary preparations and requirements that different treatments carry.
2. INDUCTION & CLEAN: This appointment involves taking a full set of diagnostic records so you and Dr Rick can get a clear picture of your unique oral environment. By the end of this appointment, he will be able to assess your suitability for composite veneers and tailor your treatment plan to achieve your smile goals. You will receive a professional clean to start your dental journey in a hygienic and healthy environment.
3. COMPOSITE VENEER PLACEMENT: Teeth are cleaned and prepared as necessary. Based on the smile goals discussed, Dr Rick will then place and shape the composite resin, ensuring maximum compatibility with the tooth structure underneath, bite, cleanability and gum health. You walk out with your new smile!
4. WORKSHOP 1 (1 WEEK LATER): After you’ve had the opportunity to live in your new smile for a week, Dr Rick will spend one hour reviewing, tweaking and polishing your new veneers to your specifications. The goal of this appointment is to ensure you LOVE your new smile. If no adjustments are made, the veneers are polished to perfection.
5. WORKSHOP 2 (1 MONTH LATER): It’s now your body’s turn to let us know if it loves your new smile as much as you do! During this appointment, the veneers will be reassessed for any signs of early wear and fatigue. Areas under excessive force will be adjusted to minimise the chance of complications over the lifetime of the veneers.
View this post on Instagram
One of the most commonly heard expressions in the clinic is “WOW! that was the most thorough examination/clean/consultation I’ve ever had!” In the Information Age, we are inundated with information, much of which is irrelevant and confusing. At Tailored Teeth, our primary focus is YOU! We arm you with specific, detailed, actionable knowledge relating to your dental & cosmetic situation. You are the centre of the Tailored Teeth Team’s universe, this is how we consistently achieve our patients’ dental and cosmetic goals in a comfortable, respectful and positive environment. hope to see you soon!